Position Name : “Volunteer to design a robust Process for Business Correspondent business for rural India“
Organisation Name: Drishtee
Drishtee is a social organisation working with rural communities in 6000 villages across India, we have an extensive presence in Assam, Uttar Pradesh, and Bihar, with few initiatives in parts of Rajasthan, West Bengal, Orissa, M.P., Maharashtra, Haryana, Karnataka, Uttarakhand and other North Eastern states.
Drishtee aims to develop and nurture 500,000 sustainable rural enterprises in the next 5 years, the partnership is with local communities and in collaboration with other stakeholders. To accomplish the objective of formation of enterprises Drishtee requires to play the role of a facilitator for community building within the villages, this entails a continuous and holistic understanding of rural landscape for sustainable development of enterprises and possibilities of forging partnerships.
Progress and development of villages is possible only when families realise and accept the value (intangible & tangible) of coming together as a community for fulfilling their basic common needs. It is important that they recognise that their economic unsustainability may have external influence but the core of the solution lies in their aggregation.
Drishtee is relying on the willingness of rural families to commit, invest, and contribute towards this common cause of unification and working towards their own empowerment.
When the village embarks on the path of organising themselves, the focus is on identifying their core needs, existing skill set and resource requirements. These would be broadly – capacity needs (training &development, design, management, planning & structuring) , capital needs (human capital, financial ) and channel needs ( marketing , networking , linkages ) for accessing global markets.
Drishtee analysis these needs and connects with relevant stakeholders such as local government, civil society organisations and CSR of large corporations seeking partnership support on behalf of the community organisations.
Agriculture and allied services
Beauty and Wellness
Banking and Finance
Tourism and Hospitality
Vision: Drishtee envisions a world where all communities are empowered to achieve shared prosperity.
Mission: To facilitate development of rural community organisations and delivery of business services to demonstrate a mode of sustainable living on the planet.
*Community Organisation: An organised & registered collective of groups, where members are open to share resources & responsibilities in order to achieve sustainable common wellbeing.
Volunteer Position Details
● Organisation: DDCL
● Department: Business Correspondent
● Job Function: Process Design/ /General Business /Planning/Analytics
● Language Requirements: English & Hindi
About Business Correspondent Vertical:
The formal banking system in India has been unable to reach the last mile due to a number of challenges. Due to this, a vast majority of people in rural India do not have access to various financial services, or in other words, are financially excluded. To alleviate this condition, the banking regulator has allowed banks to tie up with entities to act as their agents (business correspondents or BCs) and give basic banking services to the rural populace. Drishtee has been working with two large nationalised banks as their BC in this effort to ensure access to financial services at the last mile. The system works via. a network of rural kiosks, known as community service points (CSP) through which a rural entrepreneur is engaged in the provisioning of these services.
● Description of Opportunity:
1. What is the specific Project?
Ans: The project is about designing an analytics backed process of monitoring, auditing and supporting Drishtee’s CSP network to achieve optimum performance and mitigate risks.
2. What is its goal?
Goal is to put in place a detailed process document which can be implemented in the field so that Drishtee can manage and support its CSP network efficiently.
3. What tasks will you want her/him to do?
● Develop an in-depth understanding of Drishtee’s BC operations and related MIS data and reports
● Identify focus points in the existing process which require to be monitored regularly through existing/additional data
● Revise the existing process such that there is an efficient system of CSP monitoring, bank liaising and support to CSPs for work related issues. The revised process must contain clearly articulated periodicity of CSPvisits/audits, LHO visits, data reporting etc.
● Design new MIS reports to aid the head office in assessing the strength of operational field processes and propose benchmarks to indicate red flags in the same.
4. Why is this important to your organisation?
The BC network is the backbone of DDCL’s field operations and it is imperative that it is managed efficiently. For this, first we need to have a clearly laid down process to define expectations from various functionaries, and then we need to ensure adherence to the same. This project will help us in coming out with such a process document, adherence to which will be our primary risk mitigation tool against various operational and fraud related risks in the BC operations.
● Desired Skills and Expertise: (This will steer your posting to the most qualified applicants.)
1. Education requirements: pursuing MBA in any stream(preferably finance, operations, rural management, rural development)
2. Experience : One year in financial inclusion is preferable
3. Skills & interests : analytics, process design , diligent , effective communication, efficient coordination , goal orientated , structured , relationship management , strong documentation skills .
On site : Noida Corporate Office
Knowledge Boulevard, Tower B, 8th Floor,
Plot No. A-8 A, Sector 62, (Near Shipra Mall)
Noida – 201301, Uttar Pradesh, India
● Classification: Volunteer
● Number of Candidates for the Opportunity: 1
● Opening Date: 1st July 2017
● Closing Date: 15th July 2017
● Preferred Date of joining: 15th July 2017
1. Estimated Time Commitment (Hours per Week): 40
2. Estimated duration of project: 1-3 months
1. Stipend/ Salary Range: Not applicable
2. Cadre: Volunteer
3. Housing & meals: Yes ( shared accommodation)
4. Travel expenses: Yes Only official expenses as per company policy
5. Mobile reimbursement: Yes
6. Certificate: On successful completion of the tenure